Sunday, May 13, 2012

From Then to Now-How did I get to this place?

Truth be known, I guess you might call me a "late bloomer."  It started out early in my life as I didn't join my family until I was fourteen weeks old-through the wonder of adoption.  I am told my teeth wouldn't come in and it seemed like forever before I would start to walk.  I guess I got comfortable with taking my time to do things as I seemed to keep up the pattern through the years.  Even though I was raised in a Christian home and in church every time the doors were open, I didn't become a Christian until I was an adult.  Somehow I managed to cram my four years of college into more than ten, and even married much later in life than any of my friends.

Fast forward to June, 2009.  Gary and I had been married for five years and life was progressing along just fine.  During a road trip from Texas to Nashville, the subject of adoption made its way into our lives.  My husband was sharing with me that a fellow firefighter and his wife had made the decision to adopt.  Having married later in life, we had no plans to have children of our own however, the desire and dream to be a mother had never gone away from my heart or life.  As we continued to drive, we began to discuss the option of adoption in our lives.  As someone who was adopted, I am all about all things adoption and never miss an opportunity to proclaim its merits in the life and heart of a child.  Little did I know about the orphan crisis in the world today and how it would affect my life in the days to come.

As I began to educate myself on the adoption process I was overwhelmed by the need of the orphan.  It is estimated that there are somewhere between 147 million and 163 million children living in the world today who are orphans.  No doubt, that is an ever increasing number with each new day that passes.  Never did I realize the sheer number of children who were living their lives without the love of a family to provide for their needs; physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally.  I wondered where would I be had I not been chosen to be a part of a family.  What would my life look like today??? 

I had never given any thought to the realization that an orphan has nothing to call their own.  Imagine waking up in the morning and having no one there to call your name or hug you tightly in their arms.  Imagine having no clothes of your own to wear.  Imagine life in a third world orphanage, or worse yet, left to live life on the streets.

As time passed, interest in adoption became a burden for the orphans of the world, both abroad and in the good 'ole U.S.A.  Over 250,000 children enter the foster care system in this country each year.  Many are returned to their families.  However, there are over 107,000 children in the United States just waiting for their forever families TODAY.  These are children who are cleared for adoption and JUST WAITING, HOPING for THEIR family.

While continuing to study the orphan crisis, I came face to face with what scripture says about the orphan and the responsibility of the Christian with regard to this.  James 1:27 makes it plain.  We are to care for the orphans and widows of the world.   Then I am reminded of James 4:17 that tells me if I don't do what I know to be good and right, I have sinned.  I must admit that throughout this process, my awareness of the needy ones of this world has catapulted to new heights.  I have been challenged to live outside of my comfort zone, to give when it might hurt a little, to love those that might not be so easy to love. 

I have been challenged.  I have been changed.  That brings me to the title of my blog.  LOVE WITH ABANDON.  Love with abandon.....I guess we all have some contrived definition of "love" that we are comfortable with living out in our daily lives.  I know that was true for me.  How "deep" are we willing to love?  How "dirty" are we willing to get?  How vulnerable are we willing to be in order to be used for those who need us most?  How willing are we to love when there is no promise of anything in return?  I am reminded of the little poem my youth pastor recounted to our youth group over and over.

"Only one life, 'twill soon be past,  Only what's done for Christ will last."  C.T. Studd 

I am not sure I totally grasped its meaning as a teenager.  However, being the "late bloomer" that I am, as time goes on, its words are ever before me.  What will I do that counts for Christ?  What will you do?

Be Blessed,

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment